Tim Tate has an update on the James Renwick Alliance trip to Penland. Its First Come - First Served, and 10 have already signed up - there are 10 slots are left!
Have a look at the description of the tour:
Have a look at the description of the tour:
The most enjoyable trip I have ever taken was to Penland School of Crafts, outside of Asheville, North Carolina. This area of the country is dense with amazing artists. You may know my work, but you may not know what Penland and the artists in the Asheville area have meant to my career. I first attended a class at Penland in 1989. Thus began my lifelong relationship with this spectacular school and the generous artists who surrounded it. Here is a link to an article that goes into depth on why I have such a strong commitment to this area.
A central focus of the trip I am planning for the James Renwick Alliance will be attending Penland's 27th Annual Benefit Auction, featuring the sale of over 200 craft items and the centerpiece of a gala weekend in the North Carolina mountains. The Penland auction is one of the premier craft collecting events in the Southeast, and it is a wonderful opportunity to interact with fellow craft enthusiasts. Additionally, we will be visiting the studios of some of the most talented artists in and around Asheville. This will honestly be the best five-day excursion you have ever taken (at least I'm gonna' try to make it that way)!
Here is an outline of events:
- Wednesday, August 8 - Arrive at the Inn at Little Switzerland, our base for this trip.
- Thursday, August 9 - Visit the studios of ceramist Michael Sherrill, wood art sculptor Stoney Lamar, metalsmith Hoss Haley and bookmaker Dan Essig, finishing at Blue Spiral Gallery in Ashville.
- Friday, August 10 - Visit the studios of ceramist Christina Cordova and her husband, glass-maker Pablo DeSato; the Penland Gallery, featuring work by artists affiliated with Penland School of Crafts. Our last stop is at Penland for a cocktail party, exhibition preview, silent auction, dinner, live auction, dessert, party, live music and dancing.
- Saturday, August 11 - Start with coffee at The Barns at Penland, shows by both the resident and Core students at Penland, silent auction, lunch, live auction, and a reception at the Penland Gallery. Two major works will be the big spotlight, one by Beth Lipman, and the other by Dan Clayman - both stunning! After the auction, we will head back to the Inn at Little Switzerland for a lovely farewell cocktail and dinner party, where you will be able to swap stories with the new friends you made on this spectacular trip.
- Sunday, August 12 - Time to go home. Transfers are offered to the airport, if needed.
Cost of the trip is $525 for members and $625 for non-members, which includes a $100 non-refundable tax-deductible contribution to the James Renwick Alliance. The cost of the trip covers airport transfers (if needed), one welcome dinner, Penland ticket to four auctions, coffee, one lunch and one dinner.
Participants will be responsible for the cost of their hotel room, breakfasts at the hotel, 2 lunches and 2 dinners, travelers insurance and airline tickets or car rental fees. Ground transportation will be by car. Those who want to drive down from Washington, DC can share on-site transportation with those who choose to fly down. Hotel rates are from $199-189 per room, and each person is responsible for hotel reservations. Details on reservations will be available once deposits are made.
Confirmations will be sent out once deposits are made. A deposit of $250 is due by June 1, and final payment of $275 ($375 for non-members) is due by July 2. Hotel cancellation fees apply and are the responsibility of the individual. Invitations from Penland will be mailed in early June. Refunds will be based on expenses incurred minus the $100 non-refundable tax-deductible contribution to the James Renwick Alliance. No refunds will be given once final payment is made or benefit tickets have been purchased. Cancellations must be in writing.
Love you all,
James Renwick Alliance Board of Directors
To register for the Penland trip, please fill out the registration form and send it to the James Renwick Alliance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax at (301) 907-3855 or mail to the office at 4405 East West Highway, Suite 510, Bethesda, MD 20814.